Student Psychological Counselor
Job ID: 19736
Location: City College of New York
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The full-time Student Psychological Counselor assists in the clinical, administrative, training, and outreach activities of the Counseling Center at The City College of New York, functioning as a primary provider of direct clinical services. The Counseling Center provides evaluation, consultation, and time-limited counseling/psychotherapy to individuals and groups, as well as academic support services (consultations to faculty and related programs) to the 16,000 undergraduate and graduate students at the College. The Counseling Center is a training site for pre-doctoral clinical and counseling externs.
The Student Psychological Counselor will report to the Director of the Counseling Center. In addition to the CUNY title overview duties, tasks include but are not limited to:
- Provide clinical supervision for graduate student externs and didactic/clinical training seminars to Counseling Center staff.
- Make and track appropriate referrals to outside resources.
- Identify areas of need (regarding mental health and wellness) on campus and creatively strategize ways to meet those needs.
- Create and promote counseling groups that focus on the development of various coping skills.
- Professionally support campus Health and Wellness campaigns through outreach and workshop development and implementation.
- Advise, participate in, and develop campus responses to tragic world events that might affect students.
A Doctoral degree in Psychology to include Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs
A Master's degree in an appropriate discipline for personal or psychological counseling and a New York State license as a mental health practitioner (social work, psychology, or mental health counseling).
In addition, six years' professional experience is required for all candidates.
- Proficient understanding of student needs and behavior in higher education systems
- Experience with diverse populations and competence in multicultural issues and their relation to counseling undergraduate and graduate students
- Knowledge and experience with time-limited, solution focused therapy, and coping skills development
- Knowledge of residential college life
- Experience with and openness to therapeutic case management
- Experience supervising doctoral-level students and administrative staff
- Experience dealing with issues related to academic success and completion
- Experience with more severe psychopathology
- Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Spanish Speaking/Bilingual
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Provides student counseling services as a member of a team.
- Provides psychological counseling to individuals and groups of students
- Performs crisis intervention for emergency situations
- Performs intake and assessment for personal counseling services
- Consults with instructional and administrative staff regarding student mental health issues; may prepare and present outreach initiatives and workshops
- Participates in recommending improvements that will impact the counseling center's effectiveness
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYfirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
-- Revised --
Open until filled with review of applications to begin on May 6, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.