Req ID: 19122
Location: Western Zone, South Shore Regional Hospital
Department: 3000112 MHA Adult Dawson
Type of Employment: Regular Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: Healthcare CUPE Healthcare
Posting Closing Date: 21-Sep-18
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date. Only online applications will be accepted, interested candidates please apply here:
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Check This Out
Are you a Psychologist searching for your next chapter or looking for a reason to come back home to Nova Scotia? The Nova Scotia Health Authority has an exciting job opportunity in South Shore!
Discover more about Nova Scotia's South Shore here:https://www.novascotia.com/southshore Recruitment incentives and relocation may be offered to the successful candidates based on qualifying criteria.
An exciting opportunity exists to join a high performing Mental Health & Addiction Services team. Nova Scotia Health has a growing reputation as an innovator in the provision of rural Mental Health and Addiction Services. We place the highest values on meaningful client, family and community engagement, continuous quality improvements and a culture of continuous staff learning. Our ambulatory services are delivered through the Choice and Partnership Approach providing the right interventions by highly skilled and supervised staff without delays in the most efficient manner. All staff takes part in competency training in the most effective psychological interventions through a learn-practice–coach model.
Reporting to the Manager Adult Mental Health, the Psychologist works as a member of the multi-disciplinary team to assess and treat individuals and families affected by a broad range of disorders, illnesses and mental health complaints. The Psychologist participates in the planning, development, provision and evaluation of Mental Health Services for those persons aged 19 and over.
The Psychologist ensures that the principles and practices that guide our work such as the mission, vision, values, expected behaviors, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and interprofessional collaboration are integrated within the services they provide and through the messages they deliver.
- Ph.D in clinical psychology or Psy.D. Degree
- Current registration as a Psychologist with the Nova Scotia Board of Examiners in Psychology (NSBEP). Or current listing on the Candidate Register under the supervision of a Registered Psychologist.
- Demonstrated skills in DSM diagnosis
- Experience providing psychological services to a general adult mental health population.
- Demonstrated skills in program evaluation
- Experience in providing supervision to psychology residents, students, and peers
- Willingness to provide crisis services and participate in services for those with concurrent disorders
- A working theoretical and practical knowledge of varied intervention strategies and the relative efficacy of interventions which promote health and wellness in an adult population such as but not limited to Motivational Interviewing (MI), Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), and Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT).
- A working theoretical and practical knowledge of psychological testing applicable to the client population
- Motivated with a strong customer service orientation building solid health care client/partner relationships
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize information, problem solve and utilize good judgment in decision making
- Demonstrated planning, organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to quality improvement initiatives and evidence based practice
- Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practices and organizational health
- Demonstrated accountability
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Experience working with allied health care professionals and medical specialists
- Experience training and/or acting as a resource for other allied health care professionals and medical specialists
- Demonstrated good attendance in current and past employment
- Exemplary work history as demonstrated in current and past employment
- Physical capabilities to perform the duties of the position
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Preferred (Considered an Asset)
- 3-5 years' experience in mental health and /or addiction services
- Experience in providing psychological intervention for those with concurrent disorders (MH and AS)
- Experience working across the life span (children, adolescents, adults, seniors)
- Experience with the Choice and Partnership Approach and the principles of stepped care
- Professional training acceptable to nationally-recognized accrediting bodies
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Hours of Work
Regular Full-time (100%) Position; 75.00 Hours Bi-weekly
Psychologist IV (HC 95):
$50.6297 - $56.2545 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a Healthcare CUPE Healthcare bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions.
Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile.
Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment.
Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are: Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/