Psychologists at Gillette provide a full-range of high quality psychological services to Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare patients, both inpatient and outpatient, to maximize the patient’s potential and adjustment. As appropriate, this position informs all involved caregivers including family, school, and community agencies and hospital staff of the psychological needs of the patient so that all levels of care are conducive to growth. This position will participate in psychology program development, quality improvement and staff education to meet the needs of Gillette and to ensure excellence in psychology service delivery.
Additionally, the psychologist would have the opportunity to join the Inpatient Rehabilitation team, which is comprised of physicians, nurses, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, social work, chaplaincy, music therapy, therapeutic recreation, and child life specialists in addition to psychologists. In addition to serving on the multi-disciplinary team, the role in this aspect of the job would relate to providing emotional and behavioral support/intervention to patients hospitalized for rehabilitation following selective dorsal rhizotomy surgery; as well, additional opportunities for other patient populations (e.g., TBI, spinal cord injury, somatoform disorder, and others) will likely be available.
Specific duties are determined by the work setting or patient population served; however, in all positions, serving patients with challenging and complex conditions requires a concentration of specialized staff able to work in highly coordinated teams. We organize care around each patient’s condition which requires staff at multiple levels and across many departments to exhibit exceptional teamwork qualities including communicating efficiently and effectively and adopting the behaviors required for high functioning integrated teams, consistent with our Gillette CARES expectations.
- Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Psychology
- Must be currently licensed psychologist through Minnesota Board of Psychology. Individuals new to MN licensure may begin employment in a license eligible status under the supervision of another licensed psychologist, as allowable by law. Must obtain MN license within 90 days of hire.
- Documented completion of an American Psychological Association (APA) accredited internship.
- Ability to adapt to changing needs of patients and/or organizational needs.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of assessment techniques/tests and intervention strategies.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills which establish rapport with the patient and family and communicate effectively with other caregivers and staff.
- Strong communication skills, including verbal, listening and written.
- Must be able to accurately and effectively communicate written ideas in reports and chart notes.
- Current CPR certification (through American Heart Association) required, or must obtain certification within 90-days of hire.
- Experience in a hospital setting and with disabilities and chronic illness population is desirable.
- Pediatric experience strongly preferred in Burnsville, Minnetonka, Maple Grove, St. Paul and desirable at Lifetime Clinic. Adults with childhood onset disabilities experience strongly preferred at Lifetime Clinic and desirable in Burnsville, Minnetonka, Maple Grove and St. Paul.
Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of an individual's race, color, creed, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation or gender identity, military status or any other class protected by federal, state or local laws.
Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare provides specialized health care for people who have short-term or long-term disabilities that began during childhood. We help children, adults and their families improve their health, achieve greater well-being, and enjoy life.
To learn more about working at Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare, please visit https://www.gillettechildrens.org/careers.