The Oklahoma City Thunder is an elite performance organization and a leading franchise in the NBA. Beyond any single game, season, or outcome, we are driven to shape the future of our industry, our community and our own legacy in sports. At this time, we are looking for a mental performance coach who wants to make a positive impact – individuals driven to think and work differently with a strong intrinsic drive to support and guide the development of players, coaches, and leadership.
With the Thunder, you are joining a culture that performs at the highest level and seeks to empower those within the organization to reach their greatest potential. As a mental performance coach, your expertise in supporting and sustaining optimal performance is key to allowing the team to thrive. Working with organizational support staff, you will help create, participate and provide your expertise to Thunder and Blue players, coaches, and staff that encourages personal and professional growth by assisting individuals and teams to reach their fullest potential.
- Master’s degree in Psychology (or related behavioral science field)
- Licensed professional counselor (preferred)
- Certified Mental Performance Coach (preferred)
- 5 or more years of experience in each of the following:
- -Developing strategies that enhance optimal states of psychological health for achieving and sustaining elite performance among those within high risk, high demand occupations and/or sport athletes
- -Developing comprehensive, customized psychological health assessments
- -Working with a multidisciplinary team of experts and organizational leadership
- -Performing motivational assessment and interviewing techniques
- -Relational competency demonstrated by knowledge and experience with understanding and effectively communicating with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Works under the supervision of the Thunder’s doctoral-level licensed Psychologist. Day to day duties may include, but not be limited to:
- Developing programs and policies for early identification and treatment of emotional, social, and behavioral issues affecting adaption to professional sports industry and competitive arena
- Developing contacts, procedures, and referral sources for expediting player/staff recovery from illness/injury
- Developing personalized strategies for individuals and groups to improve adaptation and resilience to uniquely challenging conditions, limited resources, and rigorous tempo
- Working and consulting with Thunder leadership, staff and operational psychology consultants to:
- -Design and implement programs to include comprehensive psychological assessment, testing, and monitoring strategies, and training techniques to enhance psychological skills and functioning in competitive environments
- -Develop customized individual and team strategies for strengthening personal and professional growth among players, coaches, and leadership relevant to sustaining and achieving elite performance across diverse settings and conditions
- -Implement “best practice” strategies for developing player/team/coach cohesion and synergy
- -Develop programs for player/family onboarding and orientation into professional basketball
As part of a team, the Oklahoma City Thunder is looking for individuals who have strong, effective, interpersonal skills—the ability to develop trust, rapport, and highly professional relationships with a wide range of staff from diverse backgrounds and who deliver clear and effective messages to a variety of stakeholders. Additionally, we are looking for someone who expresses traits that are valued by the organization that include, but not limited to being:
- Passionate - possesses a strong sense of meaning, drive and sense of purpose greater than oneself
- Assertive - straightforward, direct, and transparent with oneself and others, willing to speak up under pressure
- Ambitious - aggressive in pursuing new ideas and evidence-based initiatives & improving current processes
- Rigorous - thorough and responsive with implementing effective strategies with players/coaches/leadership
- Resourceful - appreciative with a creative mindset for maximizing the use of limited resources
- Resilient - sustains emotional stamina in the face of unique challenges and high demand performance pressure
- Optimistic - views defeats as opportunities; does not fear failure, expresses positive, enthusiastic demeanor
- Relentless - does not give up continuously seeking ways to help others succeed and achieve their potential
- Humble - desire to learn; accept feedback; recognize accomplishments are the result of a team
- Flexible - able to adapt to a wide range of interpersonal relationships, cultures, changing organizational needs
- This position requires at times working long hours on short notice. This may include irregular work hours, as well as unpredictable surges in work hours pre, during, and post season.
- This position will also require travel, to include traveling with short notice in support of organizational needs, goals, and programs.
- This position requires maintaining confidentiality and privacy of player, coach, and leadership information in order to foster an optimal, cohesive environment.
* This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Human and Player Performance.
We invite you to apply online at www.okcthunder.com/employment
The Professional Basketball Club, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants fairly on the basis of qualifications, experience, and business needs. We value diversity and support an inclusive environment for all employees.