Provide assessment, therapy and consultative mental health care under the supervision of the Chief Mental Health Officer in accordance with their knowledge base, experience, and competence. In addition to clinic based services, the Mental Health Therapist will be expected to actively participate in outreach efforts in Southwestern New Mexico.
Ages of patients to be served will be principally adolescent to adult, but may include newborn, pediatric and elderly patients.
1. Manage appropriately, in accordance with HMS productivity standards, the immediate mental and behavioral health care needs of acute and urgent care patients.
2. Provide for mental health care that is comprehensive, coordinated and continuous.
• Maintain good working relationships with referral clinicians, including timely acceptance of referrals from HMS clinicians for counseling and patient support services
• Obtain and document a comprehensive mental health history, with a primary focus on the presenting problem
• Complete and document an appropriate mental health assessment, with a primary focus on the presenting problem
• Provide appropriate care, based upon a treatment plan collaboratively developed with the patient
• Plan for and ensure appropriate follow up, including coordination with other providers and potential referral to a more appropriate level of care
• Facilitate the scheduling of patients with other agencies when appropriate
• Provide empowering education to patients as appropriate
• Provide, at all times, care consistent with the highest ethical standards of clinical practice
3. Assume responsibility for maintaining competence in clinical practice
• Maintain licensure at the highest level applicable. Any change in licensure status must be communicated to HMS immediately.
• Actively collaborate in obtaining credentialing with payors of HMS services
• Regularly attend continuing education activities consistent with clinical responsibilities, personal interest and in coordination with the Mental Health Department
• Participate actively in supervision, treatment team and case conference activities
• Consult with colleagues and be available for consultation with colleagues, students and other providers within HMS
• Provide optimal learning experiences and an understanding of the delivery of patient care to practicum and internship students as assigned
4. Participate in quality improvement and quality assurance activities in the health care setting.
• Actively participate in peer review of clinical work
• Participate in chart audits
• Participate in appropriate HMS and community-wide committee and collaboration work, as assigned by the Mental Health Director
5. Participate in development, implementation and dissemination of research, and incorporate research findings into clinical care
• Collaborate with other health care providers in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating care for individual clients and for target populations
• Provide support for community and individual preventative behavior through the dissemination of research findings through community outreach programs
6. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.