International Christian University (ICU) is a private and bilingual university that provides a first-class liberal arts education to a culturally and religiously diverse international community of students, faculty and staff. ICU’s educational mission is based on Christian and democratic principles. ICU has approximately 3,000 students and over 150 faculty members from Japan and overseas. The university is located on a wooded campus in the suburbs of Tokyo.
We are pleased to announce an open search for a full-time faculty position in Psychology, with a particular focus on Criminal Psychology, Psychology of Social Welfare, or Psychology of Disability. The successful applicant is expected to teach general education, foundation, and area major courses in the College of Liberal Arts, as well as courses in the Graduate School.
Department of Psychology and Linguistics
Rank & Title
Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor
Term of Employment
1. Assistant Professor:
Tenure-track position for an initial five-year term. (The term may be shortened to three years, depending on previous experience). If tenure is approved at the end of the term, the position will be made permanent and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor will be granted.
2. Associate Professor & Professor:
Employment until the mandatory retirement age of 65.
1. Salary: in accordance with ICU employment regulations2. Allowances: available, in accordance with ICU employment regulations (e.g. commuting allowance) 3. Working hours: in accordance with ICU employment regulations Social insurance: coverage by Promotion and Mutual Aid Corporation for Private Schools of Japan (PMAC), workers’ compensation, etc.
Number of Positions: 1
1. Ph.D. or equivalent in Psychology or a related field is required.
2. Language of instruction: English and Japanese
3. Christian (of any denomination), or, in exceptional circumstances, a non-Christian with outstanding achievements, who affirms ICU's Christian ideals and commits to realizing them.
Deadline for Applications
Applications and supporting materials must be submitted no later than 23:59 August 31, 2019 (JST). (Deadline may be extended until an appropriate candidate is found.)
September 1, 2020 or April 1, 2021
Application and Selection Process
1. Register your application online.https://business.form-mailer.jp/fms/c7a0dc06102688 2. Submit all the application materials online as described below. 3. After documentary screening, short-listed candidates will be requested to give a lecture and will be interviewed.
Notification of Decision
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by email.
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. List of Academic Publications (Do not send actual publications unless requested.)
3. Name and contact information of three academic references and one church minister/leader who can testify to the applicant's commitment to Christianity. Do not send the letters of recommendation unless requested. (In the case of non-Christian applicants, please include within your cover letter a statement offering your understanding of ICU's Christian ideals and your commitment to realizing them. In this case, a pastoral reference is not necessary.)
4. Cover letter describing why the applicant is applying for the position.
URL for Uploadinghttps://www.dropbox.com/request/WshVtz5ibuSLre1lcEms
*ICU has a contract with Dropbox Education with high security. You do not need a Dropbox account to upload files. Ignore an email message automatically transmitted by Dropbox, notifying the completion of file uploading.
・Format : Microsoft Word (doc / docx) or PDF
・Size : Less than 3 MB (per file)
・Combine the documents into one file if possible.
・File name : Family name_All (e.g. Smith_All)
*If it is not possible to combine the documents into one file, name the files as follows.
If online submission is not possible, please write to the contact person below.
Personal information will be treated with confidentiality.
3-10-2 Osawa, Mitaka-shi, Tokyo 181-8585, JAPAN
Prof. Tomoyuki Yoshida
Position of Contact Person
Chair, Department of Psychology and Linguistics
For inquiries, please contact the above e-mail address.