To reach out and offer support to people of all ages and backgrounds during times of crisis, to work to prevent the suicide of those who are actively suicidal, and to offer hope and caring during times of hopelessness.
We care, from the inside out, with open hearts and minds. We build connections and remain committed to growth to be the best for the people we serve.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Crisis Support Services (CSS) provides 24-hour crisis intervention, suicide prevention and culturally competent mental health supportive services to Alameda County residents via its 24-hour telephone crisis line, a teen text support line, and other on-site and community-based counseling and health education programs. CSS reaches over 12,000 teens with its suicide prevention program in the schools, and serves seniors, students, the unemployed, the chronically mentally ill, and other vulnerable populations with support groups, in-home services, and individual and group therapy programs. Alameda County relies on CCS to be a primary incident responder. Services are provided throughout Alameda County and reach a culturally diverse population of primarily low-income residents of all ages. As a collaborative member of the Bay Area Suicide and Crisis Intervention Agencies (BASCIA), CSS also provides “roll-over” and “disaster” support for sister crisis lines in San Francisco, Marin County, San Mateo County, and Contra Costa County by answering their calls in the event their local crisis lines are over-burdened or disabled.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to Crisis Support Services’ Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the organization's pursuit of its mission and strategic objectives.
This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial mental health professional who would like to lead this dynamic organization to even greater success. The ideal candidate will come with exceptional interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style that facilitates the health of the organization. S/he will have both a strategic and hands-on approach to leadership and operations, be adept at analysis, business planning, and have a demonstrated commitment to Crisis Support Services’ mission.
Organizational Leadership and Management
- Manage, lead, and develop staff, volunteers and interns
- Serve as a compelling spokesperson for Crisis Support Services’ vision, strategy and programs among board, staff, volunteers, donors and other key stakeholders and the community at large
- Deepen and expand relationships with diverse funding sources, including foundations, corporations, individual donors and government agencies
- Oversee all programmatic, operational, financial and fundraising activities of the organization
- Foster an organizational culture of results, learning, innovative thinking, responsibility, accountability and pride
Community Relationships and Partnership Development
- Develop strategic alliances with organizations to advance Crisis Support Services’ mission
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with government agencies that CSS contracts with for services
- Advocate at local and state levels for policies that benefit people in crisis and those impacted by suicide
Program Development and Delivery
- Keep abreast of current and emerging issues in suicidology, guiding Crisis Support Services to respond effectively and innovatively with services and programs
- Lead new program creation while supporting current program growth
- Develop, manage and monitor organizational budget in partnership with the Board of Directors
- Strategically link revenues and resource allocation to expand the organization
- Present financial and organizational progress reports to the Board of Directors
- Develop a strategic plan in conjunction with the Board of Directors and the senior leadership team
- 8+ years of managerial and operational experience, including problem solving, fundraising and financial experience as an executive in a community based mental health setting
- 4+ years of experience in a senior management role, including staff management and budgetary accountability comparable to CSS today: $3M budget with 6 direct reports and staff of almost 30
- 2+ years of clinical mental health experience
- Proven fundraising abilities; demonstrated ability to cultivate, solicit and steward relationships with individuals, corporations and institutions and leveraging those relationships for broader support
- Experience empowering employees and retaining and developing staff
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, ability to publicly advocate on behalf of Crisis Support Services and people it serves
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and balance multiple projects
- Financial management and analytical skills
- Visionary, creative and entrepreneurial abilities
- Ability to plan and execute on specific metrics to achieve development goals
- Ability to work effectively with representatives, advocates and professionals with different backgrounds
- Dynamic and charismatic leader who enjoys being the public face of an organization
- Commitment to prevent suicide and to serve people in crisis
- Deep-seated understanding of and experience with working with a culturally diverse staff, clientele and community whose skills, cultures and spoken languages reflect the communities served by Crisis Support Services
- High degree of emotional intelligence, humility and drive
- A Master’s degree or higher in counseling, psychology or social work
- Licensed by appropriate professional board
- Lived experience with mental health challenges a plus
- Previous Executive Director/CEO experience
A highly competitive compensation and benefits package will be made available to the qualified candidate.
Leadership Search Partners is conducting this search on an exclusive basis on behalf of Crisis Support Services of Alameda County. For immediate consideration, interested candidates should apply via email by sending a resume and cover letter as PDF or Word documents to Search Coordinator Chelsea Burr at email@example.com, with “Crisis Support Services_ED” in the subject line.
Inquiries may be made, in confidence, to Search Consultant Scott Staub at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Crisis Support Services of Alameda County is an equal employment opportunity employer.
LEADERSHIP SEARCH PARTNERS is a search firm focused exclusively on the nonprofit sector. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, the firm works with local, national, and international nonprofits to help them hire exceptional senior-level leaders. www.leadershipsearch.com