The University of New Mexico (UNM) is seeking a dynamic, innovative, results-oriented, addiction scientist for the position of Director of the Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions (CASAA), one of UNM’s premier strategic research centers. The selected candidate will report directly to the Vice President for Research (VPR), and will become a tenured faculty member of the College of Arts and Sciences with full academic year University salary support.
Established in 1989, CASAA has developed an outstanding international reputation as a center for research on the epidemiology, prevention and treatment of alcohol and drug use disorders and the adverse consequences of use. CASAA’s 80 staff, faculty, and affiliated members have the mission of generating, conveying, and applying knowledge to reduce the suffering related to addiction. The center is a multi-million dollar entity.
A full description of the current research of CASAA-affiliated faculty is available at http://casaa.unm.edu. CASAA investigators have a long history of successful NIH funding. CASAA also supports students at all levels in research and maintains an NIH Institutional Research Training Grant to support pre- and post-doctoral trainees. Finally, CASAA investigators support the research mission of the University through service on university-wide committees and by providing proposal-writing training through a formal annual seminar and individualized mentoring.
CASAA’s work is multidisciplinary and includes collaborations with multiple UNM Main Campus and Health Sciences Center departments as well as with investigators at institutions throughout the US and internationally. The ability to navigate the intricacies of a complex institutional environment is critical. CASAA researchers are leaders in one of UNM’s Research Grand Challenges (grandchallenges.unm.edu), a University Presidential initiative. The Substance Use Disorders Challenge brings together nearly 100 researchers and community partners in a strategic, coordinated and integrated approach to improve outcomes for communities within New Mexico and to advance UNM’s standing as an incubator for substance use research innovation. The Grand Challenges initiative further enables researchers to work across disciplinary boundaries and provides institutional investments and support for pilot projects that will lead to additional extramural funding.
The University of New Mexico is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral/Highest Research Activity University, and is one of a few such universities that is also an Hispanic Serving Institution. UNM's eleven colleges and schools serve a diverse student population of over 26,000. UNM provides an excellent research environment and a unique demographic of superbly trained researchers.
The programmatic research focus of the successful candidate may deepen current areas of expertise or broaden the existing CASAA research portfolio. Additional qualifications include a publication record commensurate with that of a successful scientist/faculty member, good interpersonal and leadership skills, solid grant management experience, and willingness to assume limited departmental responsibilities in the candidate’s home department. Departmental affiliation will be consistent with the candidate’s training and expertise; we envision that the successful candidate will have a record sufficient to merit appointment at the Associate or Full Professor rank.
The successful candidate will:
· Be responsible for the scientific leadership of CASAA as well as oversight of administrative and financial operations
· Maintain an active program of externally funded research
· Prepare and implement a strategic vision and plan for CASAA
· Enhance CASAA’s portfolio of external funding by facilitating and catalyzing the acquisition of grants and contracts awarded to CASAA faculty and oversee the staff to ensure proper and efficient administration and execution of those grants and contracts as well as unfunded research
· Manage CASAA portfolio and activities
· Fully integrate CASAA’s research mission with graduate and undergraduate educational programs across UNM
· Establish active collaborative research partnerships both within the University (with other departments, centers and institutes) and with strategic partners outside the university
· Prepare, oversee and serve as the responsible agent for CASAA’s budget
· Provide monthly operational and planning reports to the VPR and biannual reports to CASAA’s internal and external advisory boards
· Ph.D., M.D., DrPH (or comparable terminal degree) in a field relevant to addictions research
· Rank of Associate or Full Professor (or equivalent if not currently employed in an academic setting)
· Record of research publications in the addictions area
· Record of externally funded research in the addictions field
· Demonstrated leadership and management skills in a highly productive research setting
· Ability to articulate a vision for the future of addictions research
· Record of substantial, independent, externally funded research in the addictions field
· Publication record commensurate with an established scientist/faculty member
· Solid plans for continuing an active program of research
· Record of successfully recruiting and mentoring investigators
· Record of successfully mentoring and/or teaching students
· Record of engagement with and leadership in the addictions field through, for example, editorial service, service on federal review committees, service on advisory panels or engagement with professional societies
· History of working collaboratively in partnership with colleagues across disciplines and/or sites
· A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and student success, as well as, working with broadly diverse communities
Requested Application Materials
· Cover Letter that describes how the candidate’s background has prepared them for the position and addresses the preferred qualifications.
· Professional references will be requested of all candidates considered for on-campus interviews
For complete details of this position, please visit http://casaadirectorsearch.unm.edu.
To apply, visit: https//unmjobs.unm.edu/ and reference: REQ10141
Best consideration date for applications: October 15, 2019
The University of New Mexico is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educator.