For complete job description and application process, search for Job ID 327232 on the University of Minnesota Employment website: https://humanresources.umn.edu/jobs
The Institute of Child Development at the University of Minnesota seeks an outstanding candidate to serve as Director. This position, a tenured faculty line in the department, provides leadership both as an active high-impact scholar and by supporting scholarship at ICD. The Director should be a thought leader in the field and formulates a vision for the department, in collaboration with the faculty and staff. The Director nurtures the professional growth of faculty, including encouraging their nomination for promotion and tenure, as well as awards and honors; works to improve the quality of instruction, disciplined inquiry, and outreach/community engagement; and is responsible for creating a welcoming environment for all individuals. The Director provides academic leadership to ICD with support from an Associate Director and Chief of Staff, in consultation with the College Dean and Associate Deans. The Director has general administrative authority over the Institute, including budget oversight. The Director represents the Institute in college-wide administrative planning and is a member of the CEHD Academic Leadership Team. The Director of the Institute is an important face of the Institute state-wide, nationally, and internationally. All applicants are expected to have strong and fundable research programs and to contribute to both graduate and undergraduate supervision and instruction. A strong developmental orientation to research and teaching is required. ICD is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and welcomes applications from minority candidates and other under-represented groups.
- · Doctoral-level degree in Psychology or related field.
- · Evidence of a well-established national and international reputation.
- · Administrative experience in positions such as director or department chair/head, program coordinator, director of graduate or undergraduate studies, center director, or director of a large research laboratory.
- · Evidence of effectiveness in teaching, advising, and outreach/service.
- · Candidates must be qualified and acceptable to the faculty in the Institute for appointment at the rank of tenured Full Professor.
- · Thought leader in developmental science.
- · Demonstrated successful skills in interpersonal communication, administrative leadership, supervision, and team-building.
- · Demonstrated experience in increasing the ethnic diversity of students/faculty/staff in an academic department, including positive retention.
- · Demonstrated success in procuring external funding for programmatic initiatives or research.
- · Demonstrated success in mentoring and developing faculty or staff.
- · Serve as the Institute’s chief administrative officer, with authority and responsibility for programs and resources, personnel, budget development and oversight, development and fundraising, and administrative planning.
- · Promote excellence in research, teaching, and community engagement that is consistent with the Institute’s and College’s missions and goals.
- · Provide leadership for strategic short-term and long-range goals, objectives, and plans.
- · Provide leadership and guidance through the design and building stage of the planned new ICD building, which has an anticipated ground breaking date of fall 2020, pending funding.
- · Provide leadership in faculty and staff development: orient new faculty, conduct annual reviews, determine merit-based salary increases for faculty, manage the tenure and promotion process consistent with CEHD and University policies, nurture the professional development of faculty and staff to sustain the Institute’s high ranking in the field.
- · Maintain one’s own scholarship and visibility in the field.
- · Promote professional commitments to diversity, and equity, including diversity and equity in the student body and workforce.
- · Delegate authority appropriately to other leadership in the department
- · Working with the Institute’s Chief of Staff, prioritize and monitor budget requests and expenditures.
- · Oversee the agenda for and preside at faculty meetings, and appoint ad hoc committees as necessary.
- · Represent ICD in its internal and external affairs.