The Childhood Asthma Research Program involves research and intervention programs focused on improving the health outcomes and overall well-being of children and their families. Specific initiatives are described below. A major emphasis of our work has involved translating research into interventions and designing programs to improve children's illness management reduce health care use and improve functioning and quality of life for children and their families.
We are interviewing candidates for a Research Supervisor position for large-scale research initiative called the Rhode Island Asthma Integrated Response (RI-AIR) Program which extends current asthma management and education services by implementing a more integrated referral and response system. Reporting to the Principal Investigators, Dr. Daphne Koinis-Mitchell and Dr. Elizabeth McQuaid, and in accordance with established policies and procedures the Research Supervisor is responsible for the operation of the research program including recruitment implementation programs processes and outcome evaluation of the programs.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Participates in developing protocols intervention plans and subject recruitment. Assisting senior study staff with coordination of all aspects of each study including participant recruitment data management and study administration tasks.
Organizing and implementing the protocol of the projects. Collaborating with the research staff and the community including healthcare providers, school administrators and other school personnel, and families of child research participants. Assisting in coordinating research projects and performing ongoing tasks related to participant recruitment and data collection which include but are not limited to eligibility screening and participant recruitment, establishing and maintaining research records for study participants, administering standardized measures (including questionnaires interviews and specialized electronic monitoring devices), and entering data into computerized database. Assists the lab's data manager with setup and maintenance of data management and performs preliminary basic statistical analyses. Research test and provide maintenance and support for new software tools and research devices and other lab assets.
Participating in interview selection and evaluation of research support staff and interns as well as training and oversight. Coordinating work schedule, monitoring adherence to procedures/protocols to ensure optimal study participation rates, accurate data collection, timely follow up and the like.
Assisting research investigators in tracking grant budgets within the guidelines and policies established by the Hospital as well as sponsoring agencies. Within Lifespan and department guidelines authorizes purchases related to research project. Coordinating all required submissions related to protocol and procedures to the Institutional Review Board.
Supporting and assisting with grant submissions and manuscript preparation including assisting with literature reviews references and writing.
Coordinating collaborative work with other investigators and sites. Also coordinating audits and on-site visits by sponsoring agencies.
Maintaining and enhancing professional expertise through educational opportunities and review of pertinent literature.
Willingness to travel to study sites or for other grant-related reasons.
- Minimum of Master's Degree in relevant discipline and 3-5 years of experience in clinical human subjects research including demonstrated supervisory skills and effective interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to commit to the position for the duration of the program (5-6 years)
- Experience with research concepts and techniques including qualitative interviewing and quantitative analysis
- Ability to function autonomously in a collaborative interdisciplinary team involving research medical and mental health care
- Ability to work professionally with school systems and other community organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated strong administrative skills and a strong attention to detail Experience working with Institutional Review Board and research project compliance is desired but not required
- Strong computer skills
- Experience and comfort with data management and basic statistical analyses
- Ability to work harmoniously with diverse groups of individuals
- Experience working in an ethnically culturally and racially diverse environment
- Must have a reliable car