Under the supervision of the Director of the Office of Professional Advising and Development, this position collaborates with faculty and staff to advise and teach clinical psychology graduate students in the Ph.D. program about clinical practicum. This role is responsible for communicating practicum policies and procedures to Ph.D. students and facilitating placement for external clinical practicum training. This position requires experience with doctoral level training and clinical competencies, and knowledge of APA standards of accreditation. We are seeking candidates with a strong commitment to diversity and cultural competence in clinical practice, teaching and service.
Palo Alto University (PAU) is a private, nonprofit educational institution, accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. PAU is dedicated to education with an emphasis in the behavioral and social sciences; to promoting future innovators and leaders for the benefit of society; to generating knowledge through research and scholarship of the highest level; and to providing services to the community informed by science and scholarship.
PAU has two APA-accredited doctoral programs (a PhD program and a joint PsyD program with the Department of Psychiatry at Stanford University), an undergraduate completion program in Psychology offering majors in Psychology and Social Action and Business Psychology, a master's program in Psychology with plans for expansion, and a CACREP-accredited mental health counseling master's program with emphases in Marriage and Family Therapy and Counseling. PAU offers a collegial and productive work environment in the San Francisco Bay Area, a competitive salary, and an attractive benefits package. The Ph.D. program includes three areas of intensive training: classroom instruction, clinical practice, and research. It has seven areas of emphasis: Child and Family, Diversity and Community Mental Health (DCMH), Forensic, LGBTQ, Mindfulness and Meditation, Neuropsychology, and Trauma. PAU operates an in-house community clinic, the Gronowski Center, and advanced students are placed at off-site practicum placements around the Bay Area, including VA Medical Centers, community clinics, and schools.JOB DESCRIPTION
· Manages practicum policies and procedures to ensure they are consistent with standards in the profession (APA accreditation, state licensing requirements).
· Maintains and disseminates practicum handbooks, policies, and procedures.
· Coordinates tracking and maintenance of student and site practicum records, site supervisors, and contracts.
· Reviews supervisor-completed quarterly evaluations of practicum students and finalizes practicum grades.
· Collaborates with Ph.D. Program Director of Clinical Training in response to student concerns and remediation at practicum sites.
· Serves as a liaison between practicum site supervisors/training directors, the University and the students receiving training.
· Oversees external site development and quality assurance.
· Coordinates the Ph.D. external practicum application process.
· Conducts periodic review of students’ clinical progress through Time2Track (software to track clinical hours) and readiness for internship
· Represents the Ph.D. program in the Bay Area Practicum Information Collaborative (BAPIC), a partnership between Bay Area doctoral psychology programs and practicum agencies.
· Serves on the Clinical Training Committee, a committee designed to support clinical training and address cases of remediation in clinical training.
Advising and Instructing
· Educates and provides guidance to clinical psychology Ph.D. students in preparation for clinical practicum training.
· Provides individual and group advising, including cover letter and CV review.
· Conducts workshops on tracking hours, interviewing, and related topics
· Teaches practicum preparation course (Professional Standards II) for second year Ph.D. students.QUALIFICATIONS
· Doctoral degree in clinical or counseling psychology from an APA-accredited program.
· Completion of an APA-accredited internship.
· Licensed in California as a doctoral-level psychologist.
· Minimum of three years of professional experience including clinical training and supervision.
· Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education.
· Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and experience working with students, faculty and clinical supervisors who represent a wide range of culturally diverse, marginalized, and underrepresented groups.
· Excellent attendance and punctuality, collegial and diplomatic behavior at work, and work performance to the satisfaction of management are essential functions of the position.SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Knowledge of APA core clinical competencies, standards of accreditation (especially related to clinical training), and licensing in health service psychology.
· Strong advising skills with the ability to guide and facilitate professional development in graduate students.
· Ability to interact effectively as a team member and work collaboratively with other departments.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office, web browsers and relational databases, preferably Zoho.
· Excellent organizational skills, and strong attention to detail.
· Ability to communicate effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus and training community.
Palo Alto University offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, and 403(b). We also offer flexible work schedules including generous options for telecommuting.
TO APPLY: In addition to a curriculum vitae, please provide a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and fit, relevant qualifications, and salary requirements. Three letters of recommendation (indicate names and emails for recommenders within cover letter). Please submit all materials electronically, with “Associate Director, OPAD” in the subject line, to Luli Emmons, Ph.D., Vice President of Professional Advising and Development at firstname.lastname@example.org . Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.