The Department of Psychology at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) invites applications for a Tenure Track position at the rank of Assistant Professor Academic Year with the appointment starting in Fall 2020.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms that include every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. CSUDH is seeking applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University’s mission, vision, and core values. https://www.csudh.edu/president/strategic-planning/mission-vision-and-core-values/
Department of Psychology
The College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences is one of six main instructional academic units of the university. The Psychology Department, an academic unit within the college, offers its students the option to pursue a wide variety of areas in the study of human and animal behavior while simultaneously providing a solid foundation in research and scientific aspects of the field of psychology. For students with a general interest in psychology, many of our courses are fundamental in understanding oneself and relating to others more effectively. At the undergraduate level, the Department of Psychology provides opportunities for the study of different aspects of the field. For students interested in conducting research, courses on the application of the scientific method to the study of human and animal behavior are offered. For those with applied interests, courses relating to counseling, clinical psychology, health psychology, behavioral medicine, industrial/organizational psychology, computers, and service in community agencies are offered.
For more information see: https://www.csudh.edu/psychology/
The ideal candidate’s area of specialization will be Cognitive Psychology. Responsibilities will include teaching Advanced Research Methods in Cognitive Psychology along with Research Seminar in Cognitive Psychology. The candidate will also develop and teach an upper-division introduction to Cognitive Psychology Course. The candidate may also need to teach courses in the undergraduate or graduate programs as needed. Other duties include committee work and maintaining an ongoing research program involving students. In addition, the successful candidate may be responsible for supervising and chairing graduate student theses in the Clinical Psychology and/or Health Psychology programs. The candidate’s area of research within Cognitive Psychology is open.
The primary responsibilities of faculty members are to teach; maintain an active research program; advise students; mentor graduate student theses; and serve on department and university committees. Additionally, the candidate is expected to teach introductory and advanced courses in Cognitive Psychology. The appointment will be effective for the 2020/2021 academic year and will begin in August 2020.
· Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in Psychology, Cognitive Science or Cognitive Neuroscience. Applicants who are “ABD” will be considered, however, the doctoral degree must be completed prior to employment.
· The applicant must have research experience (i.e., peer reviewed publications and/or externally funded grants) and a desire to mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
· The applicant should be able to demonstrate the ability to teach or prepare to teach introduction and advanced cognitive psychology
· Applicants must have experience teaching students from diverse age, socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
Preferred /Desired Qualifications
· The ideal applicant's area of specialization will be Cognitive Psychology. Please note: a degree in Experimental Psychology or other sub-discipline of psychology may be relevant depending on the applicant's training and background.
· The applicant should have an active research program with a record of peer-reviewed publications.
· The applicant should have experience teaching graduate or undergraduate students. TA experience is relevant to this desired qualification.
Employment Requirement – Background Check
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
How to Apply
The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin in November 2019. For full consideration, please submit your completed application no later than November 1st 2019.
Register your online application at 'New & Returning Applicants' at https://www.csudh.edu/hr/job-opportunities/index (Job ID#: 3567) and submit the following in a single pdf file:
· Current Curriculum Vitae with contact information
· Cover letter
· List of 3 references with contact information
· Unofficial transcripts (an official transcript will be required for the finalist)
· Statement on teaching.
· Statement on research.
· Sample Publications or Evidence of Creative/Scholarly Activity
· Teaching Evaluations (if available)
Applicants may direct their questions to the chair of the search committee, Dr. Carl Sneed (email@example.com)
For finalist with International transcripts, a United States Equivalency certification will be required.
A United States (US) Equivalency certification is required for earned/awarded/conferred foreign terminal degrees, which is from a foreign Academic Institution for foreign studies. The US Equivalency certification is used to validate foreign studies from an academic credential evaluation agency and is evaluated on foreign studies and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. The certification must translate the information in English, and confirm that your highest terminal degree is US Equivalent to a US terminal degree (i.e., Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate’s, Doctor’s of Philosophy). The certification can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed directly to the office of Faculty Affairs and Development, 1000 East Victoria Street, WH-368, Carson, CA 90747.
Applicants that are selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be notified by the Search Committee when to submit their (3) three letters of recommendation directly to the email address of email@example.com or you may mail directly to:
CSU, Dominguez Hills
1000 East Victoria Street, (Psychology Department)
Carson, CA 90747