The Department of Psychology and Philosophy in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Sam Houston State University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in its APA-accredited doctoral program in Clinical Psychology to begin in the Fall 2020 semester. The program has a strong forensic emphasis, and candidates must demonstrate potential for sustained research in forensic psychology.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Sam Houston State University is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the academic community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The college welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community.
The department seeks applicants whose work relates to clinical applications at the intersection of psychology and law (e.g., forensic assessment, delinquency, psychopathy, malingering, risk assessment, offender treatment, law enforcement, court consultation) with either adult or child/adolescent populations. Duties will include conducting and supervising research, supervising theses and dissertations, supervising clinical practica, and teaching in the graduate (masters and doctoral) and undergraduate programs in the department. A preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated potential for extramural funding. Candidates must be committed to a student-centered approach and have a passion for teaching and mentoring a diverse student population. Candidates should have a doctoral degree from an APA-accredited Clinical, Counseling, or School Psychology program and must eligible for licensure in the State of Texas. Applications from individuals who are ABD will be considered, but the doctoral degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.
Sam Houston State University is located in Huntsville, TX in the beautiful piney woods of East Texas approximately one hour north of the ethnically and culturally diverse Houston metropolitan area. SHSU is classified as a “Doctoral/Professional University” by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education. Sam Houston State University is seeking culturally and academically diverse faculty committed to fostering a lifelong learning environment.
Interested candidates should apply online at: https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/hr/postings/22828
The application will require the following materials:
• Letter of interest describing alignment the with Clinical Psychology program’s forensic emphasis • Statement of research interests
• Statement of teaching interests and philosophy • Statement of diversity and inclusion, specifically addressing qualifications and strategies for engaging all students at SHSU. Click on the demographics tab at https://www.shsu.edu/dept/institutional-effectiveness/fbenrollment for information about the demographics of the SHSU student population.
• Full curriculum vita
• Two representative publications
• Three letters of recommendation. For ABD applicants, one letter must be from your dissertation director confirming that the PhD requirements will be met by August 20, 2020
• Transcripts for all graduate education (applicants may submit unofficial transcripts for initial screening; however, official undergraduate and graduate transcripts are required for credential review prior to hiring)
Additional materials may be requested throughout the consideration process. Review of applications will begin on October 22, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Direct inquiries to:
Marcus T. Boccaccini, Ph.D.
Search Committee Chair
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Plan Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code 51.215.